RE: jfw and msn instant messenger

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 01:04:29 -0600

At 09:01 PM 3/26/2006, Michael McDermott asked:

Is this the same as windows messenger which I have on my system tray?
And do you know what its for that is windows messenger?

Msn messenger and Windows messenger are very similar to each other. Think of Windows Messenger as a slimmed down version of msn messenger. You can do more in MSN than you can in Windows messenger and, at least on my particular system for whatever reason, you aren't able to do certain things. For example, file transfers do not seem to go as well with someone using Windows messenger. It's very unpredictable. One time someone asked me to send them a file, which I did, but the file was rejected. So I asked them to sign in with MSN Messenger. Wouldn't you know it, the file sent just fine. I think Windows Messenger is used for pretty much the same reasons Outlook Express is used for e-mail. It's convenient because it's installed automatically, it's accessible, and people do seem to like it.
I make a lot more use of MSN because I like some of the features it has such as the more visual aspects such as Winks and nudges, but other people seem to find them annoying. But yes, Windows Messenger is just fine and perfectly accessible. It's all in what you like. Some people actually prefer it over MSN.