RE: highlight text in Microsoft Word

  • From: "Huskins, Wayne" <Wayne.Huskins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 12:19:48 -0400

Jerry et al, What you are looking for is some scripting work done by Brian
hartgen. His message to the jfw lite list follows. Although I have not
looked, I assume his scripts are still available from his web page. The web
address is at the bottom of his message.

Wayne H

---------original message from Brian Hartgen
Hi,

I would just like to announce the second version of my scripts for jaws for
windows and all versions of Microsoft Word. The first batch of scripts are
already proving to be a popular download from my site, and are assisting
many visually impaired people, especially in the work place and within a
college setting.

They do not affect any previous JFW/Word functionality.

I will paste the readme file below, so you can gain an idea of the features.

I must say that this is my first attempt as script writing for distribution
to people.  I have in mind some more ambitious projects, so watch this
space!

Regards:

Brian

FILE STARTS

These scripts contain many features so that a visually impaired person can
perform word processing tasks with even more flexibility and ease.  The
keystrokes have been designed to aid memory association and to minimise
hand movement on the keyboard.  So they are ideal for new and experienced
users.

You can browse through, or activate, most of the keystrokes through
the Hotkey Help, Insert with H.

The following is a complete list of keystrokes with explanations to follow.

Shift control 7 reports bold status

Shift control 8 reports italic status

Shift control 9 reports underlined status

Alt n reports the page number currently in focus

Alt m reads the top, bottom, left and right margin settings of the document

Alt p reports the number of pages in a document

Alt W reports the number of words in a document

Alt j reports justification, i.e. the alignment of the text

Alt control 1, 2 and 3 report headings 1 through to 3.

Shift control N reports normal style

Control shift semicolon moves to the next paragraph, advises of alignment
status, and reads the first sentence.

Shift grave accent reads the position from the left edge of the document.

Control grave accent toggles full punctuation on and off.  Ideal for proof
reading a document!
The default is no punctuation.

The Home key now reports the first character on a line.

Alt shift comma cuts a marked block of text to the clipboard.

Alt shift full-stop (period) copies the marked block of text to the
clipboard.

Alt shift slash deletes a marked block of text from the document.

Control shift B changes the bold status of the marked text.

Control shift I changes the italic status of the marked text.

Control shift U changes the underlined status of the marked text.

Control comma speaks the character in focus.  If pressed twice quickly, it
is pronounced phonetically.

Control full-stop (period) pressed once will speak the word in
focus;  pressing it twice will read the sentence containing the focused
word.  Note that full-stop has been used as it marks the end of a sentence.

Control slash pressed once reads the line in focus;  pressing it twice
causes the line to be spelled.  This could be useful for hearing web
addresses being announced correctly.

Control Semicolon causes jaws to start continuous reading.

Control shift delete will delete from the cursor position to the end of the
document.

Control shift backspace will delete from the cursor position to the top of
the document.

Shift Control F4 finds the next occurrence of the highlighted text.

Shift alt P reports the point size and style.  It also reports bold,
italics or
underlined status.

In order for this latter keystroke to work, the option labelled "standard
and
formatting tool bars share one row" should be unchecked.  This can be found
in
the view, toolbars, customise, options  submenu.

CENTRING

It is often important when centring text to know how far your cursor is
from the
left or right edge of the document.  You can press Shift grave accent at
any time to
ascertain the cursor position from the left edge of the document.  In
summary, to
check subsequent lines of text for centring, you can arrow to each line, and
either press alt J for the alignment, or for more precise measurement, press
shift grave accent.

MOVING THROUGH PARAGRAPHS

To minimise hand movement when checking the lay-out of a long document, a
keystroke has been added which is Shift Control Semicolon.  Pressing this
key
repeatedly will cause the cursor to move from one paragraph to the next, and
jaws will advise you whether it is left aligned, centred, right aligned or
fully
justified.  The first sentence in the paragraph will be read, so that you
have
some idea of its content.  To stop this, either silence the speaking with
the
control key, or press shift control semicolon again to move to a new
paragraph.

BLOCKING TEXT

If used correctly, this function allows you to mark the beginning of a
block of
text and then move to another part of the document with the conventional
arrow
keys, then you can use one of three keystrokes to cut, copy or delete the
marked
text.  You do not have to use Windows selection keys.

Place the cursor at the start of the text to be manipulated.

Press the grave accent key, situated to the left of the figure 1 on the main
keyboard.  This keystroke will appear in your document temporarily, but it
will
be deleted later.  The scripts rely on this being in place.  If you do not
do
this, the blocked text will not be deleted because you will have not marked
start point.

Go find the other end of the selection.  This is not restricted to the
current
screen.  It could be pages and pages through the document.

Hit any of the following:

Alt shift comma will cut the blocked piece of text to the windows clipboard.

Alt shift full-stop will copy the blocked text to the clipboard.

Alt shift slash will delete the block entirely.

Similarly, you can mark the start point of the text with the grave accent
key, move to the end point and use:

Control shift B to change the bold status of the marked block;

Control shift I to change the italic status;

Control shift U to change the underlined status.

Note that, if the text is originally in bold for example, using this
procedure will cause the marked text to be in normal style.  If the text is
not underlined, pressing the Control shift U keystroke once the text is
blocked will cause the text to be underlined.

When these keystrokes are executed, there are a lot of processes going on.
recommend that you turn off the Word sound effects, if you have them
activated.
You can do this by pressing Alt T O to enter the options menu in Word,
select
the general page, and uncheck the "play sounds" check box.

FIND THE NEXT OCCURRENCE OF WORDS

Ordinarily, if you want to find a word or phrase in a document, you can
enter the required string into the Find dialog.  Subsequent occurrences of
the word or phrase can be located with Shift F4 or Alt Control Y.  When
these keystrokes are pressed, JAWS will cause the cursor to move to the
next occurrence of that word or phrase and speak the line.  There is no
need to move the cursor past the phrase yourself.  In short, it is possible
to keep pressing Shift F4 or Alt Control Y until you reach the section of
the document required.

If you do not wish to enter the information in the Find dialog yourself, a
new keystroke has been provided to do this for you.  Simply highlight the
word or phrase you wish to find with the conventional selection
keys.  Next, press Control Shift F4.  JAWS will move the cursor to the next
occurrence of the word and speak the line.  You can then use the
conventional Shift F4 keystroke to find subsequent occurrences.

A NOTE ABOUT THE READ SENTENCE COMMAND - CONTROL FULL-STOP TWICE QUICKLY

When this keystroke is executed, JAWS will read the entire sentence which
has focus.  It will then read again the current word on which you are
focused, to remind you of your position in the document.

CONCLUSION

If you have any difficulties with these scripts, please send a message to:
brian@xxxxxxxxxxx

These files are under development.  You are welcome to suggest new features
at any time.  Please check my web site for further
updates:
www.hartgen.org

Brian Hartgen
E-MAIL: