RE: Why I am not going to use JAWS

  • From: "Richard P. Kelly" <rpkelly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 07:17:31 -0600

Hello Chris,

I'd be most curious to know what productivity software, if any, your free
application provides superior access too.  For example, I always test a new
screen reader with the data input screens of Quickbooks.  I can be
productive with Jaws and QB, but not so with Window Eyes, NVDA, or others
which I've not so recently tested.

Freedom Scientific, as do all the other software vendors whose applications
I run, require licensing.  If not for such methods of generating funds to
develop and support aplications; I dare say we'd be twiddling our thumbs
waiting for some well healed philanthropists to develop products to enrich
our lives and allow us to be independent.

Sure, I grumble each time I pay to upgrade software and computer hardware...
...I also realize how fortunate we as blind people are to be living at a
time in history where such technologies are there to enrich our lives.

As you use all those wonderful free applications, keep in mind that you have
no right to complain about them when they do not work or suddenly disappear
entirely.  We get what we pay for.

Cordially,
Richard P. Kelly
rpkelly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx