re: What is the fastest internet browser that works with Jaws?

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JFW List" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 09:24:45 -0700

I vowed not to contribute to this thread anymore, but I'd like to clarify
something about my own download/Web loading speed. Which is that while I may
have to wait a couple of seconds for some Web pages, others load so quickly,
even at my humble connection speed, that I'd scarcely call it a wait.

For instance, I just went to National Public Radio's site in order to hear a
segment from today's Morning Edition that I'd caught only the tail end of,
as I knew the show would be online by now because, here in California, I'm
three hours behind Washington, DC. So I went to http://npr.org, whose home
page loaded pretty darn fast. Then I clicked on the link Go to Text Version
because if I want to listen to something, I prefer to use the "Listen" links
that bring up my own Real Player, which I can control with Jaws, rather than
the proprietary NPR  audio player which I guess is Flash, and which I can't
figure out how to make pause and resume. Or find any of its controls,
actually. But I don't care that much because I can do this work-around. The
point is, the text only mirror site loaded in a snap. No wait at all.

So sometimes if a site's server is really responsive, the download of pages
may be awfully fast, even with a modest connection. I know others are
talking about the relative merits of ISPs and different specifics about
connection with different initials and acronyms that I don't understand, but
this efficiency at the server level is something I can appreciate.