Re: Num pad alternatives

  • From: "john r. vaughn" <jrvaughn44@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:46:43 -0400

Chris, I use a laptop and if you want to use your desktop as a laptop and use the "imbedded" keyboard commands as you are suggesting, you can do this by going to the jaws interface with insert J and under basic options move to the control for the type of keyboard layout you want to use and change it to the laptop configuration choice. The laptop reading commands get you around the numeric keyboard commands since most laptops do not have a numeric keypad so that to do a "say line" is insert key plus letter h, say next word is insert key plus letter L, current word is insert key plus letter K, previous word is insert key plus letter K etc.
In fact, to make it easier, you can have either the caps lock key and or the alt key work as the jaws or insert key. I use the laptop configuration which makes the caps lock key serve as an insert key/jaws key. Under the jaws help system you can get the complete listing of laptop commands. When you change to this keyboard configuration, you can also still use the numeric keypad. in fact, I have my desktop set to use the laptop keyboard layout and so have this dual functionality.

John in sunny florida

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Feist" <ccfeist@xxxxxxxxxx>