RE: JAWS & Sound Cards

  • From: "jim grimsby" <jimgrims@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:07:44 -0700

Hi, the rock well does not support software speech. As I said how ever
it is a sound modem combo and some device driver will not work with
software speech. As I noted below some version of live ware have a
problem. No just to set the record straight the keynote gold did not
have the bug the mwave drivers has the bug that if sounds were sent to
it to early the drivers would crash keynote loaded at the system level
just as the old slimware window bridge infact keynote could read all
windows error messages from window bridge witch no other software
synthesizer was able to do because it loaded so early.  The problem with
the mwave was that it uses a emulator to address the sound card.   And
if the software was not loaded attempting to address this card will
crash the system every time.   Just like on some version of live ware
sapi speech will cut off will not load and if you are using dectalk
access 32 will crackle with every word this is why it is important to
make sure all your driver for your card are up to date.  On a cmeedea
card the default in some earlier drivers maid speech totally
incomprehensible  it did grate things for mono music giving them a
surround effect but mad speech sound like some one talking from the
bottom of the grand canyon.