Buying a new system

  • From: Will Cummings <will.cummings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:28:23 -0400

Hi All,

I'm looking for advice with buying a new computer system, specifically on
hardware compatibility and adaptive software.

I'm a student with low vision, and tend to use JFW and Zoomtext in tandem,
often with Kurzweil 1000 running as well.  I'm starting my Master's degree
this fall, and need a system that can run the adaptive software
simultaneously, as well as a few open browser windows and probably 2 or more
open pdf files as well (my work is very research-intensive).  In the past
I've had problems that seemed to indicate that my computer had issues with
all the various open windows that were running, and so I'm looking for any
advice on hardware to avoid, minimum specs or suggested hardware
configurations that could handle the kind of work I'll be doing.

Thanks in advance,

Will Cummings