Re: A unique JAWS problem

  • From: parimala shinde <parimalashinde@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 03:42:12 -0800 (PST)

Hay Sean!
   In the first place, I?d like to thank you for your valuable suggestions
about solving my unique JAWS problem.
   Please note that all of your suggestions are being considered.
   Before I go on to give out my views about your suggestions listed hear in
the mail, I?d like to clarify some important things.
   I am using only one version of JAWS out hear in IBM that is, JFW 6.1 pro
with Windows XP version 2002, and word 2002.
   My problem is that, JAWS doesn?t announce the submenu items of a particular
application when ever I press alt, and curser down using the down arrow. JAWS,
I think has a compatibility problem with the MS word version. Therefore, I
think it is not responding when I use the alt tab key to switch between any
other open application say like, the Lotus Notes, or an excel sheet, or the
Internet explorer, or any other application for that matter. It simply makes no
difference to JAWS. It continues to behave the way it chooses to.
 I have tried JAWS repair, and re installing JAWS as well. One of my friends
go's  on to say that, it is possible for me to have this problem because of an
incompatible video display adapter, and therefore wants me to try changing the
same. Is it worth giving a short?
 And now, to add to my troubles, JAWS has come up with one more odd behavior.
That is, the moment I try to edit any word document having the Internet
explorer open, and try to type some thing in the word document, JAWS takes the
key commands as the Internet key commands, and not as the word command.
   For example, I type H, and I hear a message called ?no more headings found?
what a strange problem is this? How do I go about solving it? Oh no, it is
driving me literally mad! Please help me!
    Thanks and regards
Parimala

Sean McMahon <smcmahon@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Talk with fs and tell them what kind of videocard you have. Does Jaws announce
the menus in some but not all applications? I had that problem with a matrox
videocard and some settings changes made the difference. Verry often, FS will
not be able to tell you what exactly to change but it's worth a shott. Also If
you can remove some older versions of jaws, do that. Tipically, windows only
likes one version of a program and does note always play nice when it comes to
upgrading. But These concerns do not of course, outway the need we sometimes
have to maintain multiple versions. However, that is the reason why sometimes
things don't work the way they should. Being in India is there some kind of
regonal setings you use? Can you turn off any special text input services?
Someone posted to the list that disabling support for east asian languages can
help word/office problems. Disable any office animations. If the problem is
specific to word or ms office, you may be able to fix it by going into the
script manager and re-compiling the scripts. I don't know whether any of these
things will work, but it's something to check for. hth
Sean