[jawsscripts] Re: Speaking a text with a specified voice?

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 09:38:37 +0200

Yep, I was also thinking to count the length of text and estimate how much it
would take to be spoken, but thinking better I found that this is not a
solution, because while that text is spoken there would be no possibility of
stopping it.

So finally I think that what I want is not possible, because JAWS doesn't offer
this feature.

It could work it if Jaws scripting would allow using some events like
SpeakStarted, SpeakEndedor a function like JawsIsSpeaking(), and these things
could be done if all voice synthesizers were able to report these events back
to Jaws.

But I am sure it is not possible for the moment, because I am thinking how that
"detect language" feature of Jaws work.
If "Detect language" feature is active, Jaws switches immediately to another
voice when it finds a text marked as beeing in that language, but it does that
only among the languages available in the current voice synthesizer.
If the language is not available, Jaws announces that the text is in that
language, but it continues to speak with the current voice.
So Jaws is not able to load the new voice synthesizer and speak with it, then
when it finished that piece of text in that language load another synthesizer
and speak with it.
And I guess that using the Jaws scripts I can't do it either.

--Octavian