[jawsscripts] Re: Scripts Installers

  • From: Sean Farrow <sean.farrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 08:36:14 +0000

Hi,
The other alternative is WiX from:
Http://www.wixtoolset.org/
This is an xml-based msi (Windows installer) creation tool.

The problems with the nsis installers currently are that it doesn't support
compiling scripts on the fly, finds two many directories as I recall and
doesn't support additional languages.

I looked in to the effort required in creating something with WiX a while back,
we would need to create some form of packager as this does get pretty involved,
essentially copying xml fragments for each jaws version.
If I were to reserect this effort in the new year, what would be the minimum
operating system people would want? Also would people want multiple languages,
or would just English suffice for now? Would people be interested in this being
an open-source project on say GitHub? Also would a web-based packaging service
be appropriate or would people want to package locally?
Thoughts appreciated.
Kind regards
Sean.