[jaws-uk] Re: probelms accessing bBC live and listen again

  • From: Colin Howard <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, anorack@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 13:25:46 +0000

Paul,

Often enter is not the way to activate try space bar.

Paul, here are the instructions about which I have just spoken on the phone.

Remember I am using I.E 8 but can't see they not working with I.E 7.

They sound complicated when written down but do these a few times and it
ought to become second nature.  I suggest keep the link as a template,
remember if using Radio 4, the syntax, slightly different,  (for today)
would be:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/programmes/schedules/fm/2013/11/23

 firstly, I do not use I.e directly but the Windows run command, so do the
following which as you will remember from our conversation works here.

Listening Live:

1. Windows key with R - ignore verbage.

2. For BBC Kent today, paste in this text, do not move your cursor simply
overwrite what the verbage is saying is present on the screen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/programmes/schedules/2013/11/23

Press return.

3. When page has loaded, loads of verbage, presume by touching ctrl key you
will stop this do so.

4. Switch into links list view using Jaws key and F7.

5. Ensure cursor is at top of list by pressing home key.

6. Press letter s until you hear Jaws say  something like Graphic speaker
icon listen link.

7. tab twice to activate link and enter.

Stream should start in about ten to thirty seconds but there will be a load
of verbage.

If stream does not start, do left arrow with alt which goes back to previous
page and try steps 4 onwards again.

Listen again:

Execute steps 1 to 3 above.

4. The sched is divided into early, morning, afternoon, evening and late,
the early is the late from previous day.

Do **not** switch to list links view but use the Jaws find command which is
ctrl-f for whichever you need.  I tend to leave my find history set to
maximum allowed which I believe is 20, hence can cursor up/down to the value
(say Morning) and enter.  If programs have the word morning in any part of
their link or strapline, Jaws will stop on it so you may need to press the
number 3 a few times.

5. Assuming you have found the value you need, now press the letter h until
the program in which you are interested is announced, make sure it is a link
and not a heading on it's own, press enter.

6. This is now the program page, so ensure by pressing home you are at the
top of the page, then by using the letter b for button, press until you hear
the appropriate value.  Be aware frequently the listen button is announced
purely as button, it is never the first found. I usually find one which Jaws
announces as unlabeled 7 button, usually the next button without any text is
the list again, so press enter.  If it does not start, repeat instruction
from listen live above often listen again takes somewhat longer to start
than thirty seconds.

The Fareham  area of Southern England has been Colin
Howard's home  ever since July 1981, only the Lord
himself knows for how much longer this will remain true.