[jaws-uk] Re: probelms accessing bBC live and listen again

  • From: chris miles <grrenfly@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 22:17:49 +0000

On 21/11/2013 19:35, Paul Roberts wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Firstly, apologies for cross posting but given the nature of my query, I
> wish to reach as many on both lists as is possible.
>
> I am a regular user of BBC Iplayer and mainly listen again and I listen live
> to at least one BBC local station each week, namely BBC Radio Kent.
>
> In addition to the BBC sites, I also regularly listn to roger day's Uncool
> Radio at:
> www.rogerday.co.uk
>
> In recent weeks, whenever I go to the listen live links of radio Kent or
> roger Day's site, I get a mesage teling me to update my media player.  This
> by the way isn't any reference to Windows Media Player, as the bBC site i'm
> fairly certain uses realplayer and I suspect Roger Day's site does too.
>
> Now, a couple of week's ago, I decided to cary out the update but I got so
> far and then on the page, I found a "next" button and so pressed the enter
> key on this.
>
> Unfortunatley nothing happened and so it looks like I may not be able to
> fully complete the update without sighted assistance, which if this is the
> case, is a real pain.
>
> I should say that prior to atempting to do the update, I would cancel the
> message which came up on both sites and once I atempted to pres the listen
> live links, they'd come up as normal and I would hear audio.
>
> As of tonight, I am not now able to hear any audio on BBC sites, whether
> that be listen live or listen again, however I am geting audio via Roger
> Day's site, albeit once i've canceled the update message.
>
> I should say that I am using JAWS 12 and stil on IE7. Have attempted to
> upgrade to IE8 but without any luck as the microsoft site I was using to do
> the upgrade wouldn't let me complete it for some stupid reason.
>
> I was sent an alternative site to do the upgrade but this page doesn't
> appear to exist, or may have been temporarily down.
>
> I wonder if others, on trying BBC or other sites using realplayer have had
> this update mesage in recent weeks and if so, have you managed to
> successfully cary out the update. If so, then please could you let me know
> how you achieved this.
>
> Hope i've explained this clearly.  Any help on updateing the realplayer or
> indeed any thoughts on getting to IE8 would be very much apreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul.

Hi Paul,

I have just tried the BBC Radio player from Webbie and had no trouble in
listening to Roger Day's programme on Radio Kent.

It took a little while to start playing but then ok.

I had a problem in accessing BBC accessible I Player when listening to
audio deslcribed programmes and had to update my copy of Adobi flash
player; however you also get McKafri virus scan with it.

Also you need to use either Internet Explorer or Firefox for your
browser for accessing BBC programmes which use flash.

Hope this helps.