[jaws-uk] Re: Speaking in French/German accents

  • From: "Iain Lackie" <ilackie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:13:56 -0000

This is easy to handle in JAWS 12. Press JAWS Key+6 and type language in the search box and press ENTER. You can then check or uncheck the box as desired.

Iain

-----Original Message----- From: Doris and Chris
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 10:06 AM
To: jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [jaws-uk] Re: Speaking in French/German accents

Hi,

This is something in the coding of the document  that - if properly
coded - lets jaws know that it is in another language. For us
multilingual units, it could be helpful if jaws automatically
switched the lnaguage and that is what the intent of this jaws
feature is. this said, I am bilingual and have a little bit in
another two languages, and i always turn this feature off. <g>

I am not sure what version of jaws you have and I do not have the
latest and greatest myself. jaws 12 may be different but in several
versions of jaws, this language switching was turned off in

utilities/config manager/text processing.

There is a checkbox about switching languages automatically and
another about generalizing the dialect. i am not sure about the
purpose of the latter (it may have to do with jaws differentiating
between variants of the same language, i.e. British and American
English or European and Canadian French, etc.) and this seemed to
make jaws just use whatever language I set it to use.

hth

Doris

At 04:42 AM 1/14/2011, you wrote:
All,

From time to time, I find Jaws suddenly decides to speak in a very heavy French or German accent. This can happen on web sites (I use IE8), Word documents (Word 2007) and emails (Windows Mail). All these are being run on Jaws Vista and Jaws 11, but I do remember this happening in the past with XP and earlier versions of Jaws, and earlier versions of the applications too. I rather assume there is some sort of formatting in the document that makes Jaws behave like this, but I can never find anything, and sighted people who originate the documents can't see anything to trigger the change.

Sometimes, after reading in this accent for a while, Jaws will switch back to English, but it is then an old Jaws voice that is being used (old in Jaws terms rather than sounding like an aged person).

Does anyone else experience this, is it something in my settings, or is it in the document. If the latter, can I do anything about it or do I need to go back to source?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ken