[jaws-uk] Speaking in French/German accents

  • From: "Ken Reid" <ken.reid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jaws Users" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:42:38 -0000

All,

From time to time, I find Jaws suddenly decides to speak in a very heavy French
or German accent.  This can happen on web sites (I use IE8), Word documents
(Word 2007) and emails (Windows Mail).  All these are being run on Jaws Vista
and Jaws 11, but I do remember this happening in the past with XP and earlier
versions of Jaws, and earlier versions of the applications too.
I rather assume there is some sort of formatting in the document that makes
Jaws behave like this, but I can never find anything, and sighted people who
originate the documents can't see anything to trigger the change.

Sometimes, after reading in this accent for a while, Jaws will switch back to
English, but it is then an old Jaws voice that is being used (old in Jaws terms
rather than sounding like an aged person).

Does anyone else experience this, is it something in my settings, or is it in
the document.  If the latter, can I do anything about it or do I need to go
back to source?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ken