[jaws-uk] After Installing JAWS 9

  • From: "Jim Williams" <jwbr33694@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:29:13 +0100

Hi List,

Over last weekend I mentioned a problem I was having after
installing JAWS 9 and after suggestions from the List I
thought I was sorted.  How wrong can you be!

The initial problem was that JAWS was reading out all the
Icons on the desktop every time I selected an application
from the Start Menu and would carry on until I hit the Esc
key and JAWS doesn't let me know when the application had
opened.  The same thing would happen when I close the
application when I have finished and JAWS garbles on again
until I hit the Esc key again.  I've made sure that Screen
echo is on "highlighted text" and not on "Say All".

One clue is that JAWS says "Table View" when going into some
applications or when I am exiting an application to return
to the desktop, but it is not consistent in doing this.

I've spoken to the technical support at Blazey and they have
established that JAWS seems to be treating the desktop as an
application and that is why it is reading out all the Icons.
Also I have tried to set up a hot key for Jaws with the help
of the techy person but it fails to accept the keystroke
combination.  I can type it in ok but when I take the focus
off the edit box and highlight it again only part of the hot
key is spoken.

Oh, and I have done 2 JAWS repairs without improving
matters.

But that's not all and this might be linked in some way.

If I start up Word for the first time it sometimes tells me
that I am in document 3 even though I haven't had Word open
before in a session.  And if I go into a document and land
on a table within that document JAWS will tell me that it
has X number of rows when I know there are many more rows
than stated.  If I page down to the end of the document and
row back to the table I'm told the correct number of rows.
These things may not be related to the JAWS issue but they
have only started happening since I installed JAWS 9.

Sorry this has been a bit long winded but I thought it best
to give as much detail as possible.

Hope someone can make sense of all of this.

Jim Williams