[iyonix-support] Re: Unexpected Application failure

  • From: "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 08:40:42 +0000

On 09/03/2011 18:24, glavallin wrote:
In message<4D773A6A.6000808@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
           "David J. Ruck"<druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Your mail set me exploring !System

Dangerous - leave well alone!

I've haad a look inside !System at 2 directories 310.modules and 500.modules.
In 500.modules the Toolbox directory it was accessing consisted of 6
modules that were not 32bit (all dates year 1995).
In 310.modules directory contained 17 modules all year 2003 and appears
to be 32bit.
I don't know why there are 26 bit modules in System but I've renamed the
directory to hide it from boot up. The toolbox directory from 310.modules
I've copied to 500.modules.
  Rebooted and the Transient  runs ok.

DON'T DO THIS!

New modules go in to the lowest OS directory in which they work, so the 32bit toolbox go into 310. When later toolbox modules are installed they'll go in 310, but your machine will never see them because you've put copies in 500 which will be used in preference.

It's only if a module is meant only for a specific version of the OS does it go in a higher directory, and then an older version is usually left in 310 for other OS's, and it's these which are most likely to be 26bit. There is no need to remove 26 bit modules, they wont be used by RISC OS 5.

!System is complex and difficult to understand, so best left alone.

Cheers

--
David J. Ruck
email: druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx