[iyonix-support] Re: Strange Noises

  • From: David G Jones <jonesdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:04:32 +0000 (GMT)

On 18 Jan, Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> John Devine (Mail) <john.devine970@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > A fan may need a drop of WD40?

> > Don't, on any account, use WD40 on fan bearings.  It tends to eat
> > plastic and leaves nasty, messy deposits.

> > The only thing you should put in fan bearings (assuming you can
> > get to the bearings on the Iyonix fan - I've never tried it) is
> > light machine oil. The "light" applies to the oil

> Interesting.  I agree that a light machine oil is required - I only
> suggested WD40 as it's well known.

> I'm an engineer and use many different types of oil, including WD40.
> I've never had any problems with it - maybe I'm not such a good
> engineer after all!

> I've quietened several computer fans with a drop of WD40, by the
> way, a small drop applied on the end of a needle.  The main problem
> has often been to find the right place to put it, as such bearings
> are sometimes hidden by suck-on label.

> Chris.

I learned some years ago to be careful where to apply WD40.  I tried
using it to free gunged-up door levers on our car when we were in
Lesotho.  It turned the sandy/greasy mix that was making them stiff
into a solid lump!!!  So I then had to do what I should have done in
the first place:  take them apart and grease them properly.  They
worked fine after that!

Having said all that I do make generous use of it round the house:
door hinges, clock mechanisms and the noisy fan on my R*s*P*.

David.