[iyonix-support] Re: Strange Noises

  • From: Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 21:37:16 +0000 (GMT)

Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm an engineer and use many different types of oil, including WD40.
> > I've never had any problems with it

> I thought the whole point about WD40 (and other aerosol 'penetrators'
> and 'water dispersants') is that it contains more solvent than it
> does oil. Used in the open, where the solvent can evaporate is one
> thing..

Ahh... I agree.  Don't use aerosols in a computer.  Use a drop of thin
oil on the end of a needle to lubricate a fan bearing.

WD40 and 3-in-1 are both suitable (thin) oils, but don't buy them in
aerosols.  If you MUST spray oil (eg to stop ferrous metal rusting)
then use an empty kitchen sprayer - not an aerosol!

Chris.

            Chris Bell, Wales, UK
  chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx       www.highpath.net