[iyonix-support] Re: Graphics Card or PSU problem?

  • From: David R Lane <D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 23:10:36 +0100

In message <515ded62e9tim@xxxxxxxxx>
          Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <515d7caea3jonesdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David G Jones
> <jonesdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [Snip]
>
> > You could try re-seating the graphics card.  I get similar symptoms
> > from time to time and that always sorts it.
>
> I am so glad this thread has been going as I recently bought a second
> graphics card. My current card wears pyjamas when it's cold - a simple
> reset nearly always seems to cure it - needing only an occasional power
> off/on. I will give it a good reseating and have been known to 'help'
> such situations with a little emery paper and alcohol in the past (ducks
> and runs for cover).
>
> I had always thought pyjamas was a retro feature, or that Iyonix have
> valves.  ;-)
>
> I don't anticipate an extra GFX card would require a change of PSU. If it
> does, I have a spare pee sea one here and if that doesn't work I'm sure
> 'someone' has one in stock which will be guaranteed to work. :-)

I opened up Nixiyo on the (operating) table and all the cards seemed
to be seated; but, just in case, I took out the graphics card and
USB card and re-seated them. Nixiyo still showed a black screen on
boot up. :-(

As a result I am doing two things.
1) When I boot up Nixiyo, I leave him for about 20 minutes showing
the black screen. Then I do the reinitialising of NVidia card
routine and get the desktop.

2) Copy as much essential software, especially NetFetch and Mpro,
(thanks R-Comp) to Beagle (my BeagleBoard) as is 'ARMv7 safe',
so that I can carry on business there before Nixiyo goes tits up.
(hurry up Martin W. with TechWriter!)

At one point, when I had the power switched on at the wall, but
before pressing the power button on Nixiyo, I heard a 'tiny' noise
coming from the PSU like a very, very rapid continual stream of
pips. This is a fairly high pitched sound and initially there are
very short gaps in the stream of pips. I have never noticed this
before. Listening to my Wife's computer in the same way, I hear
nothing. There is also a 'funny' noise coming from the PSU after
shutdown, again, only audible if I put my ear near the PSU. Is
this normal?

Cheers,
Dave Lane

--
RISC OS London Show 2010 at St Giles Hotel, Feltham on 23rd October -
don't miss out on the most important RISC OS event of the year.