[iyonix-support] Re: Formatting "new" disc

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:29:37 GMT

In message <Marcel-1.53-0315090347-0b0pErr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          CJE Sales <sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon 14 Mar, Alan Adams wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to create a copy of the data from my RPC, by installing
>> the old and new discs in my Iyonix, formatting the new one, and
>> copying the data.
>>
>> The new disc is a 120GB Maxtor DiamondMax. It's been in a PC, so is
>> currently formatted NTFC, with one partition.
>>
>> The old RPC disc is a master on the second IDE controller, this new
>> disc is a slave on the same cable. The Iyonix will access the old RPC
>> disc correctly, and shows the new slave disc as "untitled". Attempting
>> to use !HForm 2.56 produces "cannot read drive identity, drive error
>> 8".
>>
>> Swapping the master and slave makes no material difference, merely
>> changes the drive numbers.
>> Should I be able to format this drive this way?
>>
>> and can I expect the RPC to use it once formatted? (I realise this
>> latter isn't an Iyonix question.)

> A new, unformatted disc should show on the iconbar as '5' (if it's drive 5),
> not 'untitled'. Also, HForm 2.56 was the Select version wasn't it? HForm
> 2.54 comes with the standard Iyonix disc image. It may be worth trying the
> HForm supplied with your Iyonix rather than a different one. That said, we
> have found some drives which the Iyonix fails to recognise, so it may be
> that you have a non-Iyonix compatible drive. We have known working new 120GB
> drives for the Iyonix in stock for 76GBP.

Having erased the partition using Windows it now shows as 5.

A 160GB disc behaves the same way. Neither are recognised. The error
is "cannot read drive identity".

As the Iyonix was secondhand I can only use what's currently on the
hard drive. I can't find HForm at all, but 2.56 is on the disc I want
to copy, from a RO4.02 RPC.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx