[iyonix-support] Re: Booting up is failing intermittently

  • From: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:08:20 +1300

On 14 Feb, Kade Hansson <kade.hansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> list@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > When I set the new drive as "master with slave" and the original
> > drive is set to slave using a second (original) ribbon cable, the
> > machine won't boot. I've since found that that original ribbon
> > cable is damaged at the plug connector.
> Just to be clear, each cable needs a master, and can possibly have
> one  slave in addition. If I'm reading your description right, you
> have only  a slave on the second cable.

Yes. One cable per HDD at that point in the experiment.
I can now get the two HDDs to start up with one cable, but where do I
plug in the CD drive? I put it on the end (Black) connector of a
new (IDE HDD) cable - the CD drive does not boot up, no lights on,
ejects and loads discs, but not recognised.

> > New ribbon cable required.
> Possibly. Make sure it is an 80 wire cable.  You can tell if this is
> the  case: the ridges in the ribbon are very fine.

It's called
   IDE Ribbon Cable
  ATA/UDMA 100/66MHz

This discussion could all be brought to a timely close if someone
would tell me how to plug in two HDDs and a CD drive, what cables and
where on the mboard.

Brian