[iyonix-support] Re: Booting up is failing intermittently

  • From: Kade Hansson <kade.hansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 14:17:30 +1100

list@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Yes. One cable per HDD at that point in the experiment. I can now get the two HDDs to start up with one cable, but where do I
plug in the CD drive? I put it on the end (Black) connector of a
new (IDE HDD) cable - the CD drive does not boot up, no lights on,
ejects and loads discs, but not recognised.
The CD is likely set to be a slave. Did you move the jumpers to make it a master on the second bus? It will not be recognised if it is slave, as I suspect is the case. Each bus must have a master, as I've said.

The best configuration is usually to have main HD as master on bus 0 (so that it gets ADFS drive 4 designation) and CD as slave on the same bus. Additional HD drive: master on bus 1 (will get ADFS drive 5, as CD gets 0 on CDFS.) I believe this is how the Iyonix ships (except for the additional HD part.) This is how my machine is set, except that drive 5 (master on bus 2) is my main drive for ADFS, with !Boot on it. That is slightly unusual...
Possibly. Make sure it is an 80 wire cable.  You can tell if this is
the  case: the ridges in the ribbon are very fine.

It's called
   IDE Ribbon Cable
  ATA/UDMA 100/66MHz
Sounds fine. UDMA 100 is what we want to be able to use: it's a faster data rate possible on 80 wire cables.
This discussion could all be brought to a timely close if someone
would tell me how to plug in two HDDs and a CD drive, what cables and
where on the mboard.
HDs as master (both) plugged into the end of each ribbon (other end to slots on the MB, main drive on bus 0.) CD drive (slave) in the middle of one of the ribbons. You may have trouble making the cables reach, in which case it is possible to make the CD master on its own bus (I suggest bus 1,) and have one HD master and one HD slave (both bus 0.)

HD = hard disc
CD = CD-ROM drive
MB = motherboard
bus = fancy name for IDE ribbon + attached host controller
bus 0 = first bus, sometimes labelled primary
bus 1 = second bus, sometimes labelled secondary
jumpers = plastic caps (conductor inside) which sit on pins at the back of the hard drive: they connect the two pins they cover and are used to select master/slave/cable select- the order of the pins varies from HD/CD to HD/CD, but usually they are well marked.

All of this should be child's play to a typical PC geek. If you know one near you, the Iyonix hardware should look familiar: they will just have trouble understanding ADFS/CDFS and drive numbers. Also, Google is your friend:

http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_connect_ide_hd.html

Mike explains the relationship between master and slave, and the history of why they go where they do... at length. In practice, it doesn't always matter where on the cable you put the master, but as soon as you hit problems, make sure you are following the right rules for your cable (40 wire/80 wire.) While it is possible for devices to be at fault (some pairings just refuse to play nice,) more often it is bad wiring.

HTH,

Archer

End.

---