[iyonix-support] Re: Booting up is failing intermittently

  • From: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:36:15 +1300

On 14 Feb, John <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The first IDE socket is the one nearest the edge of the board.

Thanks. But now I have another symptom, a buzz!
I still have this intermittent boot-up failure with two (or one
as 'master') HDDs in their correct places -

Recall from my first post:

> After switch on: Green light on and immed afterw orange light on.
> Both HDDs click and whirr for 2-3 sec. Then nothing but a faint
> whirr from the power supply. After less than a minute the orange
> goes out. Switch-off at the rear switch causes both HDDs to click
> off. I have:  New 120gb WD drive set as master with slave The orig
> 120gb maxtor drive set as slave (no link) Both plugged into the
> motherboard socket nearest the edge with a new strap cable. Floppy
> is connected and plugged into power supply, but no light on at the
> front. No bootup sounds from that.

I now have a loud burst of noise from the speaker coupled with
mouse/kbd freeze-up. First time it occurred last week there was a
short 'bip' and immed frozen pointer/kbd. I was using the pointer at
the time, accessing a filer menu item.

Next time it occurred the sound was a raucous continuous loud BUZZZZ!
coupled with unresponsive mouse/kbd, and after 2-3 seconds (and no
Ctrl-F12 availability) I shut down with the rear switch.

I have a newish PSU (300W June 06).

> If using 1 drive it goes to the OTHER end of the cable AND MUST be
> set  to master. (The use of 'Cable Select - CS' on the iyonix is not
> the  preferred method)

> If using 2 devices on the cable, position of master and slave is
> irrelevant.. either could be master or slave .. depends on which way
> around the devices are happiest, BUT one must be master and the
> other slave.

Checked: yes. Still experience many failed boot-ups (see above). One
such resulted in a black monitor screen with 4 lines:

-------------------
|  RISC OS 512MB
|  80321 Processor
|  Acorn ADFS
|  _

and no more boot action

Are there some tests I can do here?
Or take it into ESD in Auckland for a hardware checkup?

Brian

--
Auckland NEW ZEALAND