[iyonix-support] Re: Booting up is failing intermittently

  • From: John <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:20:13 +0000

Hi

list@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 14 Feb, Kade Hansson <kade.hansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Each bus must have a master, as I've said.
This is becoming clearer. Thanks for your trouble.

The best configuration is usually to have main HD as master on bus 0
(so  that it gets ADFS drive 4 designation) and CD as slave on the
same bus.  Additional HD drive: master on bus 1 (will get ADFS drive
5, as CD gets  0 on CDFS.) I believe this is how the Iyonix ships
(except for the  additional HD part.)

I don't know which is which. Is 'bus 1' on the Iyonix is the one on
the right nearer the edge of the MB? Mine are labelled PL401 (left)
and PL402 (r).

The first IDE socket is the one nearest the edge of the board.

To clarify about UDMA cables.. the blue end goes to the motherboard.

If using 1 drive it goes to the OTHER end of the cable AND MUST be set to master. (The use of 'Cable Select - CS' on the iyonix is not the preferred method)

If using 2 devices on the cable, position of master and slave is irrelevant.. either could be master or slave .. depends on which way around the devices are happiest, BUT one must be master and the other slave.

Hard discs are 'found' in the order primary master, primary slave, secondary master, secondary slave. First found is adfs::4, second is :5, etc.

John
[snip]
---
To alter your preferences or leave the group, visit //www.freelists.org/list/iyonix-support