[iyonix-support] Re: Audio hardware questions

  • From: Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 11:21:29 +1300

In message <aae7199551.Iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <cf8d0e9551.Alan.Adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I wonder whether it is due to the discrepancy in what is regarded as
> > "line" level?
> >
> > For professional equipment it is 0dBm, which is approx 770mV RMS.
> >
> > Most domestic equipment uses 100mV RMS. This means plugging the output
> > of domestic equipment into the input of professional equipment
> > produces low sound levels.
> >
> > If that were the case, then the 100mV signal would be about -9dBm. A
> > little extra gain somewhere and -6 to -7 could awell be the result.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> Hi Alan,
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level
>
> seems to agree with most of what you are saying except that -10dBm has
> a nominal level of .316 V RMS.
> My line levels show approx .37 V RMS using my DMM, I dont know how accurate
> an indication this is though. There must be at least some peaks at .45V
> (from the max RMS reading)
>
> I guess the question is what is the AC97 chip supposed to do with it?

OK, I have found that by using the headphone out socket on the preamplifier
I have a suitable range of voltages available by using the volume control.

By design or coincidence, when the volume control is in the mid position,
( 5 on a scale of 10) I can record 0dB Wavefiles.
At this point the RMS voltage measured with the DMM is .7 -.8V.
This will be helpful in future to use as a level indication before
connecting audio to the Iyonix.

The 0dB Wavefile sounds OK so far, I may be able to use this preamplifier
to increase the signals from my other consumer products with Line Outs.

Cheers, Ron M.