[iyonix-support] Re: Audio hardware questions

  • From: Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 07:01:05 +1300

In message <5196f8ac2cjulie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Julie <julie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Ron,
>
> I consulted my local audio expert (he of the BTEC in Music Technology,
> euph player, and perfect pitch) and he responded as below. sorry about
> the delay!

Thanks for going to the trouble!

> The target is 0db, unfortunately there's no way of monitoring the
> incoming audio level on the Iyonix (except your ears!)

Jim Lesurf's !Wave_Stats gives an output like:

0.0    -8.20    -7.24,    8.46,    8.98
0.1    -7.94    -8.17,    8.08,    8.57
0.2    -8.15    -8.94,    8.48,    7.66
0.3    -8.92    -8.89,    8.10,    8.93
0.4    -9.98    -9.47,    9.76,   10.23
0.5    -8.23    -8.13,    8.48,    8.57
0.6    -8.44    -8.33,    8.31,    8.76

The left and right channels in dB are the first two columns.
This is (solid) music recorded with Line In (Set) to max.
As I said, this setting has no effect on AudioIn, and the
onboard sound chip seems to have the gain locked at 1:1
Maybe a good thing?

> Be careful when setting the gain;the audio will clip if the gain is
> too high.  Regarding the Line In setting, be sure to click "Set"
> otherwise the computer WILL ignore it.  Regarding Line in->Line out
> audio, this sounds like a bug in the software and/or hardware.

OK, thanks for the clipping tip.
The Configure window of sliders is effectively only a mixer for the
output on the Line Out socket.
I may try fitting a front mounted Headphone socket connected to
Aux Out for some variation.
A similar on board chip seems to have 32 ohm driver on the Aux Out.
Also there may be an S/PDIF o/p signal to find on the chip.

> I wasn't aware there was a patch for recording at 44.1KHz (which I
> think is what he means) but he's right about distortion when using
> that frequency.  It's definitely cleaner at 48KHz but you still get
> artifacts in the recording :-(  I think one problem is that the
> sampling is done with the hardware on the motherboard and if Castle
> have been trying to keep costs down in that area...

I think it is a commonly used motherboard ac97 sound processor.
I haven't found the exact details yet.

Ron M.