[iyonix-support] Re: Audio In cycling volume

  • From: Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 08:50:00 GMT
On 9 Mar 2008, Andrew wrote:
> I recently sampled a tape via Audio In and playing it via Iyonix
> SoundCon the volume cycles between loud and soft. Has anybody found
> this happening their own samples? I'm pretty sure I didn't play with
> the volume during the recording.

No, never seen that happen.

Were you listening to the tape at the same time as you 'recorded' it
on the Iyonix?

I assume that when you play the tape itself, the volume does not ramp
up and doen?

If you were not listening to the tape as you recorded it on the
Iyonix, then it could be the tape itself. Tape can weave up and down
the tape replay head, causing the volume to go up and down. It is a
very common effect. Particularly if you have not played the tape for
some while, or did not wind and re-wind the tape before playing it
through the Iyonix.  [But moreover, this effect can be recorded onto
the tape, if the tape weaves up and down the recording head as you
recorded it onto the tape in the first place. - I assume this is not
the case. But it could still have been weaving up and down the
playback head when you were sampling it on the Iyonix - and most
likely was].

Are the volume transitions sharp or smooth? If tape weave is the
culprit, the volume transitions are probably smooth, akin to rather
faster Radio Luxembourg fades.

Do the 'fades' correspond to rotation of either tape spool
revolutions? If so, tape weave is most likely the culprit (unless, of
course, it is on the tape itself, in which case it will always do it.
But I assume not, otherwise you wouldn't have asked here).

--

Cheers
Roger

Atomic Software   http://rogerdarlington.members.beeb.net/
Summer Winers     http://rogerarm.freeuk.com/rogerarm/
Wild Flowers      http://rdarlington.members.beeb.net/
Flower Heads      http://fheads.members.beeb.net/
If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else.