[iyonix-support] Re: Audio In cycling volume

  • From: Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 18:53:30 GMT
On 9 Mar 2008, Andrew wrote:
> In message <4d55c97b4ef4c1457d4f.rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 9 Mar 2008, Andrew wrote:
>>> I recently sampled a tape via Audio In and playing it via Iyonix
>>> SoundCon the volume cycles between loud and soft. Has anybody found
>>> this happening their own samples? I'm pretty sure I didn't play with
>>> the volume during the recording.
>>>

>> No, never seen that happen.
>>
>> Were you listening to the tape at the same time as you 'recorded' it
>> on the Iyonix?
>>
> Intermittently I think.
>
>> I assume that when you play the tape itself, the volume does not ramp
>> up and doen?
>>
> No.
>
>> If you were not listening to the tape as you recorded it on the
>> Iyonix, then it could be the tape itself. Tape can weave up and down
>> the tape replay head, causing the volume to go up and down. It is a
>> very common effect. Particularly if you have not played the tape for
>> some while, or did not wind and re-wind the tape before playing it
>> through the Iyonix.  [But moreover, this effect can be recorded onto
>> the tape, if the tape weaves up and down the recording head as you
>> recorded it onto the tape in the first place. - I assume this is not
>> the case. But it could still have been weaving up and down the
>> playback head when you were sampling it on the Iyonix - and most
>> likely was].
>>
> I've tried it again and it seems okay playing through with SoundCon
> although if you try to skip through in segments by clicking on the
> green progress bar it alternates between inaudible and audible, or
> seems to.

So, all or nothing then?

> The volume "cycling" seemed irregular and infrequent but made the
> sample far too loud at intervals. Perhaps it was tape weaving as you
> say but if I tried to multitask the first time I wonder if that would
> have caused the effect.

 So not cyclic at all then, but irregular and infrequent.

>> Are the volume transitions sharp or smooth? If tape weave is the
>> culprit, the volume transitions are probably smooth, akin to rather
>> faster Radio Luxembourg fades.
>>
> No they were definitely sharp.

If it is a sharp transition, then it is probably not tape weave.

With all this extra info: all or nothing, sharp transitions, and
irregular and infrequent, I now suspect the connecting lead, from tape
recorder to Iyonix Audio input.

--

Cheers
Roger

Atomic Software   http://rogerdarlington.members.beeb.net/
Summer Winers     http://rogerarm.freeuk.com/rogerarm/
Wild Flowers      http://rdarlington.members.beeb.net/
Flower Heads      http://fheads.members.beeb.net/
A proton is for life, not just for Christmas