[iyonix-support] Re: Audio In cycling volume

  • From: Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:52:47 GMT
On 11 Mar 2008, Andrew wrote:
> The latest attempt: high volume on the tape player, microphone socket
> input on full and gain on AudioIn just over half way. Seems ideal
> apart from the unavoidable background hiss - is there anyway to clear
> that up using SampleEd?

I'm afraid your best bet is to process the file on another platform,
where signal processing programs are more readily available, are far
more powerful, and moreover are far faster.

But I also think that you may not be getting the highest possible
signal to noise ratio out of the Iyonix audio input. I think the audio
input on the Iyonix gives best signal to noise ratio when it is fed
with up to 1 or 2v: CD output levels.

You say you have the tape player on full volume.  (??) Does this mean
that you are coming out of the headphone jack, or tapping off the
loudspeaker output? The volume control does not usually affect the
line output level from a tape player.

Have you got a pre-amp? If so, feed the line output from the tape
player into the pre-amp. Use another lead, this time coming from the
pre-amps' output that usually goes into the power amps input. This
WILL be affected by the pre-amps volume control, but it will also have
the potential to give more output voltage for going into the Iyonix
audio input. It still wont usually be CD output level, but it could be
up to 15dB higher than from the tape players line out.

Whether this improves upon the hiss you mention depends a lot on
whether the hiss is predominantly tape-hiss, or whether it is
pre-eminently Iyonix input hiss, or both.

Another question - is this track irreplaceably unique, or have other
people got one? If the latter, then why spend so much effort trying to
rescue a poor recording of it? Have I got one?

--

Cheers
Roger

Atomic Software   http://rogerdarlington.members.beeb.net/