[isapros] Re: SCCM and ISA - Worth a shot!

  • From: Jim Harrison <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 15:44:09 -0800

Still stuck on that Enterprise CA thing, areya?
It doesn't need to be a MS Ent CA.
KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281245 discusses how to use certificates
issued by a 3rd-party CA.

KCD for cross-forest users is problematic when the "KCD pair" (the KCD
client/server pair) and the user account are separated by more than one "domain
hop".  If you think that sounds weird, wait for the details.

Imagine:
RootDom1        RootDom2
(KCD_Pair1)     (User3)
 (User1)           |
    |              |
ChildDom1       ChildDom2
 (User2)        (KCD_Pair2)
                (User4)

With logon specified using certificates, NBDomainName\account or
account@NBDomainName, KCD_Pair1 can successfully perform KCD the users in
RootDom1 and its children as well as users in RootDom2, but not for users in
ChildDom2.  Likewise, KCD_Pair2 can perform KCD for users in any domain in
RootDom2, but not for users in any domain of RootDom1.

With logon specified as either FQDN\account or account@FQDN, KCD functions for
all relevant cases.  As it turns out, this is an issue with Windows and this
behavior is identical in WS03 and WS08.

One workaround that was smoke-tested in my repro bed and MSIT was:

Requirements:
1. ISA 2006 Supportability pack:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6f629eac-d8c6-4437-9d20-b47b02db413a
2. ISA 2006 Rollup http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942639/, which contains
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942637/
3. Bi-Directional, Transitive Forest Trust

Actions:
4. Edit ms-DS-SPNSuffixes attribute in
CN=Partitions,CN=Configuration,DC=<RootDC>, add NBDomain names for all domains
in the local domain tree
    ..repeat (4) for each tree in the trusted forest
5. Edit the Name Suffix Routing list in the trusting forest and enable all
*.NBDomain suffixes as well as all *.FQDN suffixes for all trusted domains
    ..repeat (5) for each forest which trusts the forest modified in (4)
6. If using certificate auth, ensure that all trusted forest CA certificates
are included in the:
    a. Trusting forest NTAuth store: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281245
    b. ISA Server Local machine Trusted Roots store

..repeat (1) through (6) as necessary for remaining ISA arrays, AD forests and
Domain trees

There may be simpler methods (one suggested by WinSE, but not tested yet), but
this one has been demonstrated to work for a two-level domain tree.  There were
not enough resources to test beyond that, but the folks in Windows assured us
that the child domain level was not relevant to the issue (I tend to believe
them on this).

Jim