Re: multiple external interfaces

  • From: Razvan Cosma <razvan.cosma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 14:07:42 +0300 (EEST)

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Jay wrote:

> If you subscribe to Network Computing, or SANS, or one of a dozen other
> independent security newsgroups, you'll find that LINUX security is
> extremely immature, especially compared to Microsoft products (compared to
> what's out there and the customer base, MS gets a bad rap).  Putting a LINUX
> machine in front of
> an ISA box might work in a lab, though without 3rd party software to provide
> that load balancing I'm not sure what benefit you'll see.  But putting in
> production won't last long without it being compromised.
It's not security that I worry about right now, it's load balancing. And
that bloody SO can do it.
I'll let ISA handle the security part, but not having a possibility to
use 2 external connections is quite annoying given the fact that I am
using two products of which one is named "Advanced Server" and the other
one "Internet Acceleration Server" :D

> There are several ways of handling this.  Jim Harrison has provided some 3rd
> party options.  Nexland ProTurbo is another cheap alternative.  Or you can
> ask your ISPs to provide BGP.  Or if you feel like doing a little hard work,
> you can script failover and provide a semblance of load balancing (services)
> without any 3rd party option.
Or I can plug in another W2K/ISA box and do things the way they're
supposed to be done. You forgot this option ;)

> But LINUX?
As stated before, it can do the job. And for the security... not having
any services running on the box, just forwarding packets back and forth
does not leave room for security breaches, but too much ranting already.