Re: multiple external interfaces

  • From: "Jay" <jschwarzkopf@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 11:22:11 -0400

If you subscribe to Network Computing, or SANS, or one of a dozen other
independent security newsgroups, you'll find that LINUX security is
extremely immature, especially compared to Microsoft products (compared to
what's out there and the customer base, MS gets a bad rap).  Putting a LINUX
machine in front of
an ISA box might work in a lab, though without 3rd party software to provide
that load balancing I'm not sure what benefit you'll see.  But putting in
production won't last long without it being compromised.

There are several ways of handling this.  Jim Harrison has provided some 3rd
party options.  Nexland ProTurbo is another cheap alternative.  Or you can
ask your ISPs to provide BGP.  Or if you feel like doing a little hard work,
you can script failover and provide a semblance of load balancing (services)
without any 3rd party option.

But LINUX?