Re: Off-topic : Access from Workstation using Outlook Express

  • From: tess vergara <teejoi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "\[ISAserver.org Discussion List\]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 02:39:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi David,

thanks for the support.  yes my job is still intact.

there's a virus that is lurking in my network.  I just have to scanned all the
workstation and I reformatted and re-install everything on my Windows Advanced
Server 2000 and everything is A O.K.

But I do hope it stays put. because its been like this for 2 weeks now.
My network will be in tip-top shape after re-installing everything and then
after a day of work the next it is gone again.  intermittent conenction.

but I do hope that this would be the last one to happen.

thanks everybody!!!

tess

"David V. Dellanno" <ddellanno@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.ISAserver.org

I'll try to take a stab at this one.

First, I would leave the default configurations of the Firewall Client
Properties alone since Microsoft design this product to support Outlook and
Outlook Express right out of the box.

Second, you made a statement that both incoming and outgoing mail were A.O.K,
internet O.K. and nothing was wrong with your internal network.  This will help
since things have been working in the original state, you want to minimize
changes to your network as much as possible.  I recommend not to perform ad-hoc
changes to your network if you haven't yet isolated your problem.  Never assume
it is your ISA box! there are many factors to make a simple mail service to
work.

Then after an hour of successful running time you mention that your internet
connection is intermittent - here is were I need you to verify some essential
services that should be running so you can successfully send and receive mail.

Connectivity - verify that you have internet connectivity - by pinging a known
public ip address (example: ping 198.6.1.98) In this case (ping
smtp.eastern.com.ph)  on your computer behind the ISA, if you do not receive a
response behind your firewall, try attempting to perform the ping command at
the ISA box.  If you still don't receive a response you have two things to
check, first - verify that you router that connects to your ISP is powered on
or reset the power to it.  If that does not resolve your internet connectivity
then you need to call support to your ISP.

Name Resolution - Next verification is to make sure you can resolve FQDN from
your internal network - by using nslookup utility (example: nslookup
www.ibm.com)  In this case (nslookup smtp.eastern.com.ph   and nslookup
pop.mydestiny.net.  if you do not can not resolve the FQDN to an IP address
then you need to ensure that your ISA's protocol and site/content rules are
configure correctly and your internal DNS services (forwarding DNS) has been
restarted or has been started.

Firewall Client - You should have installed ISA's Firewall Client on your
client pcs that will be using internet email (fat client).  Since you are
required to create a constant session to your email server this is needed.  To
verify that you can connect to your email server use the telnet commend (telnet
smtp.eastern.com.ph 25 and telnet pop.mydestiny.net 143)  You should be able to
connect to both.

If everything here is working then you have concluded that ISA is not your
problem.

Mail Configuration - If you are using and external mail service from an
third-party vendor, I have notice that you have to make sure that you follow
their email configuration process.  Some require you to configure your outlook
or outlook express to authenticate outgoing email.  This is up to you to
follow-up on their configuration and if they make any changes to their process
that might leave your entire business not working.  I recommend to call them
for support and since you have verified the essential of your network and
concluded that it is not your problem behind your firewall, this might be there
problem.

I hope this helps in someway and hope your job is still intact!

Ciao for now!