Re: Off-topic : Access from Workstation using Outlook Express

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 20:11:25 -0500

Hi David,

Nice analysis!

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder
www.isaserver.org/shinder

        From: David V. Dellanno [mailto:ddellanno@xxxxxxxxxx]
        Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 5:34 AM
        To: [ISAserver.org Discussion List]
        Subject: [isalist] Re: Off-topic : Access from Workstation using
Outlook Express

        http://www.ISAserver.org

        I'll try to take a stab at this one.

        First, I would leave the default configurations of the Firewall
Client Properties alone since Microsoft design this product to support
Outlook and Outlook Express right out of the box.

        Second, you made a statement that both incoming and outgoing
mail were A.O.K, internet O.K. and nothing was wrong with your internal
network.  This will help since things have been working in the original
state, you want to minimize changes to your network as much as possible.
I recommend not to perform ad-hoc changes to your network if you haven't
yet isolated your problem.  Never assume it is your ISA box! there are
many factors to make a simple mail service to work.

        Then after an hour of successful running time you mention that
your internet connection is intermittent - here is were I need you to
verify some essential services that should be running so you can
successfully send and receive mail.

        Connectivity - verify that you have internet connectivity - by
pinging a known public ip address (example: ping 198.6.1.98) In this
case (ping smtp.eastern.com.ph)  on your computer behind the ISA, if you
do not receive a response behind your firewall, try attempting to
perform the ping command at the ISA box.  If you still don't receive a
response you have two things to check, first - verify that you router
that connects to your ISP is powered on or reset the power to it.  If
that does not resolve your internet connectivity then you need to call
support to your ISP.

        Name Resolution - Next verification is to make sure you can
resolve FQDN from your internal network - by using nslookup utility
(example: nslookup www.ibm.com)  In this case (nslookup
smtp.eastern.com.ph   and nslookup pop.mydestiny.net.  if you do not can
not resolve the FQDN to an IP address then you need to ensure that your
ISA's protocol and site/content rules are configure correctly and your
internal DNS services (forwarding DNS) has been restarted or has been
started.

        Firewall Client - You should have installed ISA's Firewall
Client on your client pcs that will be using internet email (fat
client).  Since you are required to create a constant session to your
email server this is needed.  To verify that you can connect to your
email server use the telnet commend (telnet smtp.eastern.com.ph 25 and
telnet pop.mydestiny.net 143)  You should be able to connect to both.

        If everything here is working then you have concluded that ISA
is not your problem.

        Mail Configuration - If you are using and external mail service
from an third-party vendor, I have notice that you have to make sure
that you follow their email configuration process.  Some require you to
configure your outlook or outlook express to authenticate outgoing
email.  This is up to you to follow-up on their configuration and if
they make any changes to their process that might leave your entire
business not working.  I recommend to call them for support and since
you have verified the essential of your network and concluded that it is
not your problem behind your firewall, this might be there problem.

        I hope this helps in someway and hope your job is still intact!

        Ciao for now!