[indaemed] Re: Re NMS

  • From: SS Mishra <ssmhialt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: indaemed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:10:25 +0530

Well! I am quite privy to the whole case and its entire history.  I think
Sanjeev had not placed all the facts before the list in his recent mail, as
presumably he took it for granted that everyone was aware of his earlier
e-mail and the history of the case.  Apparently, there are many recent
members of the list, including Bish Sir, and they are not completely aware
of all the facts.  As for as I am concerned, he had an episode of
unconsciousness without much provocation earlier, and all the tests were
normal.  On a provocation, he had a repeat, and the tests were normal again
(may be barring tilt table - his first tilt table was normal).  Now, a
negative tilt table does not rule out vasovagal susceptibility. It has an
alarming number of false negatives and false positives.  In my opinion, the
pilot is rightly grounded, as his routine training provocation can lead to a
repeat of his unprovoked response earler.  Better an element of doubt,
rather than an unfortunate repeat in air and an unnecessary loss of life and
aircraft.  As for as hypoxia to 30,000 ft is concerned, it could have led to
LOC by itself, but why only in THAT person, and not in others?- shows poor
tolerance anyhow.

Just my Paisa worth
Sudhanshu