[indaemed] Re: Re NMS

  • From: USM Bish <bish@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: indaemed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:33:34 +0530

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 06:19:58PM +0500, anujc@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> I  have  been  reading  with interest  the  discussion  on  the
> evaluation of a  case of NMS and the correct  disposal. This is
> not the first time that such  a discussion has taken place. For
> my  part   as  a  physiologist  I   would  like  to   share  my
> understanding of  the head  up tilt test  and its  relevance in
> such cases.  This is  important because  an opinion  was voiced
> suggesting  that the  test should  have been  repeated for  the
> cadet in question  and so on. The following points  of view are
> offered. The  head up tilt  test is  not the gold  standard for
> diagnosis of vaso vagal syncope In  a large number of cases the
> test  may actually  be normal  and vice  versa. The  diagnostic
> yield of this test is about 65- 70% ...

[rest snipped]

The point that you make is  very valid. However, the point here
is a  bit different. It must  be clearly understood  that Acute
Hypoxia induced LOC is NOT VVS. It  is a normal response of the
body  on  exposure to  Critical  levels  of  Hypoxia. It  is  a
physiological  response of  the body  to  stresses well  beyond
compensatory mechanisms.

The time for total loss of consciousness would vary from person
to   person  and   the  gap   between  TUC   (Time  of   Useful
Consciousness) to LOC is not well defined/ measured. TUC is the
parameter  which has  been  recorded  in various  studies,  and
normally under Hypoxia training flights  this is the stage when
re-oxygenation is commenced. If my  memory serves me right, the
50%ile value for TUC at 30,000 ft is about 125 sec or so with a
SD of  about 40  or so. In  which case, in  about 5%  of NORMAL
individuals TUC  would be expected to  be less than 10  sec. In
such susceptible  individuals, it is my  guess that the  gap to
LOC is less, and therefore, LOC may  be expected within 10 - 15
sec. The duration at 30,000 ft was missing in the Original Post
(OP), so things are left to conjecture.

The diagnosis of VVS would normally be based on:

a) CVS evidences like severe bradycardia, SSS,  ECG abnoramali-
   ties, arrythmias, episodes of asystolic  spells or  anything
   affecting cardiac output (even transiently/ momentarily).

b) Neurological abnormalities  like  asynchronous epileptogenic
   discharges need exclusion. I am  assuming  here  that things
   like  Hysterical Reactions are  ruled out by  circumstantial
   evidence.

c) ANS studies (of which HUT is one) or even things  like cold-
   pressor, vagal stimulation  etc  would give some indication.
   A positive test would definitely indicate ANS insufficiency.
   Even if a negative test is inconclusive.

d) Concurrent minor ailments like viral episodes, or major pre-
   disposing factors like anaemia at the time of the  LOC  must
   also be excluded. What was his  ventilation  state like just
   before the LOC ?

If all these have been done (maybe even repeated), and has been
seen  to  be normal,  the  diagnosis  of  VVS is  NOT  tenable.

Shortented TUC  or shortened  LOC latency  under acute  hypoxia
episoded is NOT sufficient to label a case as  VVS. Low Hypoxia
tolerance, yes. However, that would also need all physiological
parameter records within compensatory phase of hypoxia to just-
ify such a label, not at critical+ levels of 30,000 !.

The diagnosis of VVS should be established INDEPENDENT of these
hypoxic LOC episodes ... Shortened TUC  or LOC on acute hypoxic
exposures beyond critical  phase is NOT a  ground for rejection
from flying duties.

The details furnished,  based on which we  are progressing with
our discussions perhaps lacks full details. It would be nice if
full details  can be furnished by  anybody in knowledge  of the
case.

Frank as ever ...

Bish