[indaemed] Re: Re NMS

  • From: USM Bish <bish@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: indaemed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:27:12 +0530

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 06:40:51PM +0500, anujc@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> I agree 110% that  the diagnosis of VVS MUST NOT  be done based
> on LOC in a altitude chamber. Let  me clarify that this was not
> the case.  If I  remember correctly, the  diagnosis of  VVS was
> made independent of the LOC episode. I may be corrected on this
> since I was not privy to the  initial work up of this cadet.

This puts a  new dimension on the  case. As of now,  all that I
was going by was the inputs of  the OP. Could somebody aware of
the full case enlighten us on issues not brought out earlier ?

> My  aim of  posting the  VVS and  HUT part  was since  somebody
> mentioned that  HUT was  not done for  this subject  during the
> last review and suggested that it  should have been done. Since
> I was the one  who turned down the HUT request  in this case, I
> thought I  must share my  POV. I may also  add that in  a large
> percentage of  cases labelled as VVS,  none of the  ANS studies
> show any abnormality. If one goes thrrough available literature
> on the  subject, the  etiopathology of  VVS may  vary from  ANS
> dysfunction to  cerebral blood flow autoregulation  problems to
> peculiar neural activity  in the brain. There  are even reports
> to  suggest  that  VVS  may  be  a  manifestation  of  abnormal
> electrical act  ivity in  the brain, on  the lines  of temporal
> lobe epilepsy!

You are dead  right here. I think the suggestion  for ANS study
was more or  less an attempt at completing the  full battery of
tests. A positive result would  definitely give a clue, whereas
a negative perhaps, does not mean  anything at all. Repeat HUTs
scarcely give altered responses ...

> It would be worth remembering that if this cadet did have a VVS
> as an independent occurence, he could be prone for other reflex
> neural phenomenon as well. (this is documented in literature. I
> think even Gillies mentions this  somewhere.) In such a setting
> his LOC under hypoxia is not surprising at all!

This is the  first time that I  am reading on this  thread that
the cadet  had a VVS  as an independent  episode ... I  got the
impression that it was hypoxia induced only.

> The  second factor  that should  be kept  in mind  is his  high
> degree of aerobic conditioning. He had a resting HR of about 50
> beats per min. I have seen syncope cases in NDA cadets while at
> AFMC where simply going easy  on aerobic conditioning cuts down
> the recurrence  of syncope. The point  however in this  case is
> that  the cadet  had  a solitary  episode  of  syncope and  not
> recurrent  ones.  Whether  this was  in  any  way  subsequently
> related to his LOC in the chamber can be argued.

High aerobic  conditioning need  not mean  a predisposition  to
VVS. Bjorn  Borg had  a basal HR  of about  40, and  Mike Tyson
about 44  without VVS  episodes. Kip  Keino too  had a  similar
basal HR. Whereas on the other  hand, we lost a Medical Officer
with probable  VVS in a  swimming pool 2 years  ago ! He  had a
basal HR of about  48. Prediction of possibility of a  VVS in a
case of low basal HR is perhaps a rather grey area ...

Bish

--
:
Wg Cdr (Retd) US Mohalanobish         bish@xxxxxxxxxxx