[PCB_FORUM] Re: Trying to find a specific drill size (via to via)

  • From: Eric Hufstedler <ehufstedler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:25:23 -0700

> Eric Hufstedler wrote:
> >
> > This is a little off the threads topic, but did you use the
> multiple drill
> > pattern function when you made the padstack (it was new in
> 14.0, I think,
> > maybe 14.1)?
> >
> > That feature has worked well for me.  I think I was the
> first to use it...

> Maybe the first but not the only!

> I have used it also and find that in needs improvement.
> The biggest problem it has is that if you don't have a pad on all
> layers the router does not see the holes.

Ahhh... I have always put pads on all layers.  Did you call cadence about
the problem?

When I first tried to use the multi-drill function, it didn't work.  It
showed up in allegro just fine, but not in the gerbers (if I remember
correctly).  I called Cadence, and they said, yep, it's broke. They released
update relatively quickly.

> It would also be nice to have something other than the square
> or rectangular pattern that they give you.

Yep.

> I don't see how this applies to the problem this thread is trying
> to solve, though.

It doesn't really, except that it might have been easier to use the pad
feature instead of inserting 64 vias.

eric