[PCB_FORUM] Re: Reverse engineering using CAM 350 tool

  • From: "Mitch S. Morey" <cadpro2k@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 08:20:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jim,

You've got a problem if you're intending to go as far as the schematic for
a netlist. That you'll be building from scratch, and you'll be spending
the extra time trying to 'sync' it to the layout. That will probably
account for 70-80% of your time if you go that route. I'd done plenty of
reverse (or inverse) engineering of layout. Never wanted to go for
schematic connectivity, and as never asked for it. If you've got the
gerbers and a 'generic, "was" built BOM' you're set. The gerbers will
transfer into Allegro fairly easy (might take a little trial and error to
determine the settings), and cleanup is all that's required past that.
Cleanup most likely will involve that plane layers, but that's what
gerbers give you.

As for connectivity, I don't see the need unless you're being paid the
extra cash to make it happen, and I do hope this is a moonlighting job.

Good day.

Mitch