Re: [icon-users] Smart quotes.

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 17:10:15 +0000 (GMT)

In article <53249137a1riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Richard Ashbery
<riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <380-2201323270579452@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    stewy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <stewy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > And Martin wrote:

> > > Please note that while "Smart quotes" is on, they affect keyboard
> > > input into the search and replace dialogue box, too, so you cannot
> > > easily enter the unsexed quote to replace with.

> > It depends how you define "easily" ;-)

> > If you press the ' key three times in rapid succession, then you get
> > an unsexed quote even with smart quotes switched on.

> > One press gives you a smart quote. The second gives you a double smart
> > quote. The third gives you an unsexed quote.

> Care is required here. With EasiWriter's default triple pressing the [ `
> ] key (equivalent to Smart-quote-open) will give you [ ` ] not [ ' ]. I
> haven't researched this but it may be possible to set the [ ` ] key to
> do exactly as you stated.

FWIW I put

x35:`”`
x35:'‘•'
x35:--—˜
x35:..·Œ

into the 'Messages' file. (N.B. Not all the correct chars may appear above
due to changes in propagation of email!)

the "x35" lines define the double and triple press actions of the chosen
keys. Trick I picked up from Bob/Mike many moons ago. :-)

Slainte,

Jim