Re: [icon-users] Feature Request - No thank you!

  • From: Tricia Garner <tricia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 16:58:41 +0000 (GMT)

On 09 Dec, in article <4f4e767ffcrh.lists@xxxxxxxxxx>,
  Russell Hafter - Lists <rh.lists@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09 Dec, Tricia Garner <tricia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On 08 Dec, in article <a954254e4f.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> >   Paul Stewart <paulstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Would it be possible for the Interactive Spelling
> > > Checker to highlight the word and not just beep.
> > > Beeping is fine when you have the sound on.  But if
> > > you have sound off, or for whatever reason are not able
> > > to hear the beep, highlighting the word, as  happens
> > > in the Mpro EmailEdit application, is in my book the
> > > next best thing.

> > As someone who can spell better than I can type I would
> > like to second that. I prefer to check as I type rather
> > than check the document when finished. Pluto's email
> > editing function is my favourite as it pops up a window
> > with a list of suggested alternatives - you can't type
> > any more until the error is dealt with. If something like
> > that was available for EasiWriter (maybe as an option) I
> > would really appreciate it.

> Interesting how different we are!

Indeed, that's why options are so important :-)

> I find it hard to think of anything more pointless, and
> worse, extremely annoying, for me.

> I cannot stand spell checkers that beep at me while I
> mistype, underline things they do not like and so on.

> Pluto's email editing function drives me mad the way it pops
> up a window with a list of suggested alternatives while
> ceasing to accept any input. Usually I have tried to type a
> full sentence before I realise that the effort has been
> wasted, because of a typing 'error', which is quite likely
> to be a place name in a foreign language.

I'm the complete opposite - what drives me to distraction is spending time
carefully crafting a document, printing it, putting it to one side and
someone coming along and pointing out a typographical error which the spell
checker would have picked up if only I had remembered to click the tick...
A bit unfair to want the program to compensate for my shortcomings, I
suppose.

--

Tricia

I doubt, therefore I might be.