Re: [icon-users] Feature Request - No thank you!

  • From: Tricia Garner <tricia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 22:41:42 +0000 (GMT)

On 09 Dec, in article <4777a24e4f.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
  Paul Stewart <paulstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <4f4ea231a4tim@xxxxxxxxx>
>           Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > In article <4f4e956d8ftricia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tricia Garner
> > <tricia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> what drives me to distraction is spending time carefully crafting a
> >> document, printing it, putting it to one side and someone coming along
> >> and pointing out a typographical error which the spell checker would
> >> have picked up if only I had remembered to click the tick... A bit
> >> unfair to want the program to compensate for my shortcomings, I
> >> suppose.

> > Would it be an idea to be reminded to check spelling at the point of
> > Save or Print?

> Wouldn't it be much easier to simply highlight the word as well as or
> instead of, optional, beeping as currently happens.  Nobody is asking
> for the spell checker to suddenly stop you in mid flow of your typing.
> Simply highlighting a spelling error and allowing you to continue to
> type is not exactly stopping anyone from carrying on with their
> document.

This nobody *is* asking for the spell checker to stop me in mid flow :-)

However, a combination of highlighting the word (in a bright colour) and a
reminder at the point of Save or Print would be good. The reminder is a
particularly good idea.

--

Tricia

Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.