[icon-discuss] Re: trouble sending email messages

  • From: Richard Ehrler <rehrler-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Beth Koenig <bethko@xxxxxxxxx>, icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 18:05:38 -0600

Hello Beth,
I don't believe the version 1.x firmware has anything to do with the Gmail problem. I accessed Gmail with my Braille Plus both before and after upgrading to version 2 firmware. You said his email access did work at some time in the past, so I assume the Google pop3 setting for his Gmail account was turned on at some time and remains on now. If that is true, then I would suspect a corrupt db file on his flash drive. Since you say he can still use the web browser and rss programs, I would guess the email.db file is the culprit. I have noticed every once in a while, no matter how careful I try to be with the unit, that one or more of these db files will get corrupted at some point. Then, if I have no good backup to restore to, I have had to go into the home, root, db folder on the flash drive and delete the particular db file I believe is the problem. The next time I run the problem application, the email client in this case, I have to reenter all of the email account information and any filters I use from scratch. In addition, any saved email still in an email folder is lost in this process. I have learned the hard way to save those db files somewhere safe while the unit is working correctly for quicker restoration of function when one does occasionally get zapped. They are probably saved in the backup file created by the utility menu backup program but this only helps if you keep good backup for a few generations and make additional new backups whenever you make significant changes in any application. I was told the db folder on the hard drive contains copies of the db files made each time you put the Icon or Braille Plus in disk drive mode. The problem with those is that you could overwrite a previous good file with a corrupted one the next time you use disk drive mode. I now choose to simply go to the flash drive and navigate through home, root, and point to the db folder and press control with space to select that whole folder while the unit is working correctly and then copy that folder and its contents somewhere on an external memory stick or even on the hard drive inside some other personal folder. You should not save it in the root of the hard drive because it would conflict with the db folder already there and would be overwritten the next time you went into disk drive mode. Then, whenever something bad happens, like the email client gets flaky, you only need go into that saved good file folder to select the email.db file using control with space and go to the flash drive and navigate into home, root, and db and copy it over the corrupted email.db file there. This also works for other db files but it isn't always clear which db file is the problem. Sometimes maybe even the program itself could get corrupted. In this case it might be necessary to do a complete reflash of the unit. I have had to do this maybe three times in the past three years. Again, having a good backup file available makes the restore process much less painful. It can restore all of your settings back to normal in a few seconds after the reflash. Otherwise, you have to reenter all your information from scratch and reselect all of your operational settings from their defaults. Not much fun! If deleting the email.db file from the flash drive and reentering the various email account settings doesn't fix your friend's email problems, Then I would suggest contacting APH tech support by phone or email and requesting assistance with reflashing that unit.
Hope this helps
Richard Ehrler

From: "Linda Gehres" <ljgehres@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 19:53:22 -0700

 Hi.  Not sure which internet provider you have, but port 25 is

more prone to

carry viruses, not that something like that should affect the

Braille Plus

as it works through Lennex ... sorry I don't know how to spell

the program.

Anyway, I'm on Comcast, and they required me to reset my
incoming

e-mail

port on both my computer and Braille Plus to 110 and my outgoing

e-mail port

to 587, which they claim is the industry standard.  Hope this

helps.

 Linda Gehres