[icon-discuss] interesting wireless experience

  • From: "Paul Henrichsen" <paulh52@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 22:44:54 -0800

Hi, guys.

Well, I decided to try using my braille plus outside the house to see if I
could connect wirelessly. We went to our local McDonalds where they have
wayport, which I guess is part of AT&T WiFi.

No matter what I tried, connecting through AT&T WiFi, or wayport, which is
the correct way, the braille plus could not connect. Once it got a failure
to connect message, One could not turn the wireless off or on. Going into
the status menu and arrowing down

To the wireless status locked the unit up. The only way to get things back
was to remove the battery. Pressing pound star and program one did no good.

I believe the signal strengths were between 35 and 54 percent, but they
fluctuated a bit.

We decided to go to a starbucks to see what would happen there. The braille
plus found the T-mobile WiFi and connected. I was able to bring up the
T-mobile web page.

We decided to try another McDonalds on the way home. We had the same
results. We could get no connection either to AT&T WiFi or to the proper
wayport connection.

The unit would lock up. Going into the web page did no good at all. Once, I
was told I was resetting after pressing the appropriate three keys, but
there were no vibrations and on trying a power off, I got a power off error.

I again had to remove the battery and reinsert it to get things working
again.

It seems that there is something odd with wayport and the braille plus.

I want to try a Barnes and Noble this weekend as they have wayport as well.
I am wondering if their router will have a stronger signal strength.

But I wonder why there is so much trouble with wayport?

Paul Henrichsen

paulh52@xxxxxxxxxxx

Kurzweil 1000 Technical Support Engineer

(800) 894-5374

Press 5 then 2

or: (888) 995-9905