[icon-discuss] Re: Unzipping a File

  • From: "John Esak" <john@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 20:01:56 -0400

Unfortunately, knowing how to unzip things on the console is not the only
thing you would need to know to install a Linux file/app on the Icon or BP.
There are many other commands you would need to be conversant with to do the
job correctly. Anyone can learn this stuff, but it takes making a concerted
effort to learn Linux and using the console mode without knowing Linux is
not something I would recommend. In fact, my suggestion is stay completely
away from the console unless you do know the commands you need to run in
that mode.

The command to unzip a .gz file is gunzip. A .gz file has been zipped with
gzip.  There are many windows programs that would unzip a .gz file including
winzip, but you would be left with all the files on the windows side of
things... not a good thing. Sometimes, a gzipped file unzips to lots of
different folders as it's being unzipped, so it's never a good idea to unzip
a .gz on the windows side of a windows/linux combination.

I wish I had a better answer for you than this.

John