[ibis] Re: BIRD175.2: Extending IBIS-AMI for PAM4 Analysis

  • From: Walter Katz <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <esayre@xxxxxxxx>, <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ibis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 18:08:44 -0400 (EDT)

Ed,

IBIS, prior to AMI modeling, was a language that described the IV and VT
characteristics of a buffer along with the method to derive these curves.
It has been enhanced to include timing measurements, and receiver and
driver waveform rules. AMI modeling added a different dimension to IBIS by
characterizing the equalization internal to Tx and Rx SerDes (and in the
near future single ended non SerDes buffers).

IBIS has gone out of its way to NOT describe an any Normative way the way
to use these models. There are AMI flows in the document, but I consider
these Informative.

The method that any specific EDA tool uses to generate the Impulse
Response of a channel, how an EDA tool sets up the inputs to AMI models,
and how an EDA tool evaluates the outputs of AMI models varies among EDA
tools. Each of the EDA vendors considers how they use AMI models in their
simulators proprietary.

As a user, you can be assured that each EDA tool will get the exact same
output of an AMI model if they give the AMI model that same input.

With respect to the PAM4 BIRD, what is lacking? The BIRD tells the EDA
tool how to generate an Impulse Response of a channel (exactly the same as
done for NRZ), and describes how to generate a PAM4 stimulus pattern for
the Tx. The Tx model maker needs to document the controls of the Tx that
are specific to the particular Tx. The PAM4 BIRD also describes how the Rx
tells the EDA tool the measurement levels that the EDA tool should use to
evaluate the equalized impulse response and waveforms that are generated
by the Rx model.

Walter