[ibis-macro] Re: IBIS specification release schedule?

  • From: Gregory R Edlund <gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: michael.mirmak@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 16:18:06 -0600

Michael,

I think the six month cycle is a great way to help us stay focussed.  I
would like to see us stay the course on this.

Greg Edlund
Senior Engineer
Signal Integrity and System Timing
IBM Systems & Technology Group
3605 Hwy. 52 N  Bldg 050-3
Rochester, MN 55901

From:   "Mirmak, Michael" <michael.mirmak@xxxxxxxxx>
To:     "Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>,
            "'IBIS-ATM'" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   02/12/2013 04:13 PM
Subject:        [ibis-macro] Re: IBIS specification release schedule?
Sent by:        ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Arpad,

Thanks for the note.  Our original two-cycle schedule looked something like
this:

Cycle 1
Nov - Feb: technical development
March 1 - close technical changes and begin editorial fixes
May 1 - close final document

Cycle 2
May - Aug: technical development
Sept. 1 - close technical changes and begin editorial fixes
Nov. 1 - close final document

If we were strictly following this schedule, we would have to close the
technical changes for the next release quite soon, with three BIRDs
immediately eligible for inclusion - 121.2, 123.5, and 152.  Two of these
involve technical changes and therefore some parser updates.

We have 17 other BIRDs still pending for resolution, which -- under our
original plan for fast development -- probably would require two or more
additional six-month cycles to close, ironically enough.

The idea of the six-month update cycle was to ensure that changes were
incremental and could be made available to the community relatively
quickly.  To have a large number of BIRDs introduced at once in a new
specification version makes it very difficult to quickly resolve editorial
issues and results in industry "digestion" taking more time.

So far, I have not heard negative feedback about the six-month cycle
concept.  However, I would imagine that waiting additional time on current
BIRDs to keep the load-per-revision low may not be well-received,
particularly as the oldest open BIRDs were initially submitted over two
years ago.

Comments in response are welcome.

- MM