[ibis-macro] Re: [ibis-interconn] We need to define terms System, Component, Connected, Connection, Module, .ibs Package and Die, .ibs Bare Die

  • From: Gregory R Edlund <gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Walter Katz" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:52:33 -0600

Walter,

You said:

EMD = One proposed solution that describes Interconnect Subckts between the
Module Pins and/or Module Components Pins IBIS Component.

Do I understand correctly that we could conceivably use EMD to describe all
kinds of interconnect between two die pads, e.g. cables, PCBs, backplane
connectors, or any other passive component that we can model using ISS?

Greg Edlund
Senior Engineer
Signal Integrity and System Timing
IBM Systems & Technology Group
3605 Hwy. 52 N  Bldg 050-3
Rochester, MN 55901

From:   "Walter Katz" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:     "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "IBIS-Interconnect"
            <ibis-interconn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   02/08/2013 10:01 AM
Subject:        [ibis-interconn] We need to define terms System, Component,
            Connected, Connection, Module, .ibs Package and Die, .ibs Bare
            Die
Sent by:        ibis-interconn-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

All,

There has been two much confusion on what EMD is and a comprehensive .ibs
package and on-die interconnect solutions, so I propose the following
definitions to clarify future discussions.

System
      A system consists of multiple components that have electrical
      connections between them.
Component
      A basic building block of a System. A component can be a backplane,
      PCB, Connector, Cable, DIMM component, Multi Chip Module, Interposer,
      package, a packaged die, a bare die, and other things that have not
      been invented yet.
Connection
      Two electrical nodes in a system are connected if the Insertion Loss
      between the two points at Nyquist is “Small”.
Connection
      A connections consists of a list of electrical nodes that are all
      connected to each other.
Module
      A Module is a Component that has Pins that connect to other system
      components, and contains Components and Connections between these
      Components, and between these Components and the Module’s Pins.
EMD
      One proposed solution that describes Interconnect Subckts between the
      Module Pins and/or Module Components Pins
IBIS Component
      Represented by a .ibs file, contains one, and only one die, [Models],
      package interconnect between the [Component] [Pins] and Die Pads,
      on-die interconnect between the die pads and the [Model].
Bare Die IBIS Component
      A special case IBIS Component that represents a physical Die that is
      mounted directly in a Module. An example of this is a multi-chip
      module (MCM) that contains two are more die that are mounted and wire
      bonded directly on the MCM surface. The [Pin] and on-die pad are at
      the same location, and the Package model should be treated as a zero
      ohm resistor.
Interconnect Subckt
      An IBIS-ISS subckt or a Touchstone File that has ports that as
      described below. The ports may or may not be connected to all of the
      other ports.
            Module
                  Pins
                  Component Pins
            IBIS Package
                  Pins
                  Die Pads
            On-Die Interconnect
                  Die Pads
                  [Model] ports

Note that a Module (and therefore EMD) never has connections to [Model]!!!

Walter

Walter Katz
wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone 303.449-2308