[ibis-macro] Re: IBIS specification release schedule?

  • From: "Mirmak, Michael" <michael.mirmak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>, 'IBIS-ATM' <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:13:01 +0000

Arpad,

Thanks for the note.  Our original two-cycle schedule looked something like
this:

Cycle 1
Nov - Feb: technical development
March 1 - close technical changes and begin editorial fixes
May 1 - close final document

Cycle 2
May - Aug: technical development
Sept. 1 - close technical changes and begin editorial fixes
Nov. 1 - close final document

If we were strictly following this schedule, we would have to close the
technical changes for the next release quite soon, with three BIRDs immediately
eligible for inclusion - 121.2, 123.5, and 152.  Two of these involve technical
changes and therefore some parser updates.

We have 17 other BIRDs still pending for resolution, which -- under our
original plan for fast development -- probably would require two or more
additional six-month cycles to close, ironically enough.

The idea of the six-month update cycle was to ensure that changes were
incremental and could be made available to the community relatively quickly.
To have a large number of BIRDs introduced at once in a new specification
version makes it very difficult to quickly resolve editorial issues and results
in industry "digestion" taking more time.

So far, I have not heard negative feedback about the six-month cycle concept.
However, I would imagine that waiting additional time on current BIRDs to keep
the load-per-revision low may not be well-received, particularly as the oldest
open BIRDs were initially submitted over two years ago.

Comments in response are welcome.

- MM