[ibis-macro] Re: EMD Pole-Zero Models (Why voltage controled sources?)

  • From: "Walter Katz" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "IBIS Macro" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:34:09 -0400

Arpad,

This is really simple. All we need to do is get agreement from Agilent,
Cadence, Mentor, SiSoft and Synopsis. I believe this is the list of EDA/IBIS
companies that have proprietary simulators. I believe that some of the IBIS
IC companies like Intel and IBM have internal simulators as well.

If all of ?us? agree that a new syntax can be converted to our internal
simulators, then it?s a done deal. Cadence and SiSoft bent over backwards to
get Agilent and Mentor to agree to the AMI standard for this very reason.
This is what I meant by ?If IBIS approves a standard, the members of IBIS
should support the new standard.? Was this a part of the ICM approval
process? Was this a part of the 4.2 External Model approval process? SiSoft
cannot complain about ICM and 4.2 External Model, because we only started to
contribute after these standards were approved.

If EMD was approved by IBIS, and Agilent, Cadence, Mentor, SiSoft and
Synopsis all confirmed that they would incorporate this standard into their
EDA tools, and several connector and package companies agreed to start
supplying these models, then acceptance of EMD would be a slam dunk. The
member of IBIS-ATM are this group, so if together we develop such a standard
then it will be successful.

From: Walter Katz <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
sources?)
To: bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "IBIS Macro" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, June 30, 2008, 12:54 AM
Bob,

Thanks for digging this up on the use of controlled voltage source for the

Laplace and Pole-Zero form of transfer functions.

Is the following a correct summary:

* A Touchstone file is a matrix of "Transfer Functions", where the

"Transfer

Function" is represented as a "Vector" of complex coefficients.

o Each element of the "Vector" is the amplitude of the "Transfer

Function"

at a specific
 frequency.

* Each of the "Transfer Functions" can be translated to Laplace form

with a

numerator and denominator polynomial.

o Hspice implements the Laplace form using the E and G LAPLACE controlled

voltage source.

* The numerator and denominator Laplace polynomials can be factored, the

numerator polynomial factored into a list of zeros, and the denominator

factored into a list of poles.

o Hspice implements the Pole-Zero form using the E and G POLE controlled

voltage source.

* Alternatively, each of "Transfer Functions" can be translated into

"Impulse Responses"

If this is correct, then Lossy RLGC, Touchstone, Laplace, Pole-Zero

interconnect blocks can simply be represented as an EMD "Block" of

the form:

file=<file>

* Where

o EMD_Block_xxxx

* Instance Designator

o <list of nodes>

* List of
 nodes

o <length>

* Length of interconnect in meters (applies only to RLGC)

o <type>

* RLGC

* Touchstone

* Laplace

* Pole

* Impulse

o <file>

* RLGC

* Contains RLGC table data

* Touchstone

* sNp

* Laplace

* Contains Laplace polynomial coefficients

* Format needs specification

* Pole

* Contains Pole Zero data

* Format needs specification

* Impulse

* Contains Impulse Response data

* Format needs specification

It is a trivial exercise to convert any one of these "Types" of

EMD_Blocks

to Hspice W, S, E and G elements.

If all of the above is correct, then there is no need for EMD_Blocks that

are specifically voltage controlled sources.

To answer your question: An EMD models for a group of interconnect pins is

essentially an ICM [Nodal Path Description] where each of the N_sections is

essentially an EMD_Block. The [Nodal Path Description]
 becomes a subckt with

nodes consisting of external EMD pins and IBIS component pins. In ICM all of

the N_section can either be all RLGC or all Touchstone. In EMD the

EMD_Blocks can be any combination of RLGC, Touchstone, Laplace, Pole,

Impulse, Resistor, Capacitor, Inductor, Conductance or K (coupling)

elements.

From: ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx